Retail

The Indian retail industry has emerged as one of the most dynamic and fast-paced industries due to the entry of several new players. Total consumption expenditure is expected to reach nearly US$ 3,600 billion by 2020 from US$ 1,824 billion in 2017. It accounts for over 10 per cent of the country’s Gross Domestic Product (GDP) and around 8 per cent of the employment. India is the world’s fifth-largest global destination in the retail space.

India’s retail market is expected to increase by 60 per cent to reach US$ 1.1 trillion by 2020, on the back of factors like rising incomes and lifestyle changes by middle class and increased digital connectivity. While the overall retail market is expected to grow at 12 per cent per annum, modern trade would expand twice as fast at 20 per cent per annum and traditional trade at 10 per cent# . In FY17, organised retail market contributed 7 per cent of the total sector and unorganised retail market contributed the rest 93 per cent of the sector.

Online retail is expected to be at par with the physical stores in the next five years and has grown 23 per cent to $17.8 billion in 2017.

India is expected to become the world’s fastest growing e-commerce market, driven by robust investment in the sector and rapid increase in the number of internet users. Various agencies have high expectations about growth of Indian e-commerce markets. Indian e-commerce sales are expected to reach US$ 200 billion! by 2026 from US$ 39 billion in 2017

Luxury market of India is expected to grow to US$ 30 billion by the end of 2018 from US$ 23.8 billion 2017 supported by growing exposure of international brands amongst Indian youth and higher purchasing power of the upper class in tier 2 and 3 cities, according to Assocham.

The size of modern retail in India is expected to reach US$ 11.25 billion in 2019 from US$ 13.51 billion in 2016.

Student Registration

Enroll with us for your better future.